.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Late report ...

... yesterday (Wed), the lummox and I went for a walk under the trees at the spillway of the dam. It was already getting hot and that part of the Greenway is quite cool in the morning. As we were walking we came across two old men walking their little hound, Brownie. No offense, but Brownie was a little bitch. My worthless beast immediately went into his 'noble dog' pose, standing bolt upright to his full 11 inches, gazing manfully off into the distant sunlit uplands, thinking noble doggie thoughts, I presume.

He holds that pose for about 35 seconds and then turns around to touch noses and other parts. The older men are very chatty and since I am trying to brake into garrulous geezerdom gracefully I chat back. They are locals by their accent. "Hit doe-en' matter what hit does." You don't hear that type of accent anymore except from some of the older folks. But very nice men just wanting to talk about dogs. For a few minutes we have something in common to talk about. Brownie had been in a terrible accident when an SUV ran over her. It really messed her up but she survived and in fact looked fine. After a bit we are all restless and the dogs take us off in opposite directions. The lummox pays no attention as little Brownie trots off.

Almost as soon as my cleaning crew left Murty, Máire and Mischief all showed up. We went over to Chile Verde for lunch. Mischief is his Amslan name. I usually call him Mr Miggs. He has had a fever for several days and was still showing the effects of it. His sister Clever (Amslan) or Máeráed, was at Invention Camp where she is constructing a robot. Apparently what she really wants to invent is a beam across her room that will prevent her little brother from ever stepping foot into again. I assume that this will escalate until she eventually wants a Death Ray up there.

I work a bit at home and later go off to the Episcopal Church to show some videos about early Christianity. It's a good group. One of the members had made lemonade with the perfect mix of sugar so we slurped down a lot of that. It was mainly just the seven or eight people of the book club but at the beginning I had a chance to talk to the new priest and his wife who is from Venezuela. Carmen will have to make her some picadillo or tachinos or something. Maybe Olga Barnes' Sangria.

Slept later than I'd intended. Even with the new CPAP (get your eyes fixed Old Man) I still have been very sleepy lately. Still, it is a great relief to not need nine hours of sleep every night PLUS a two hour nap every afternoon. But I got up, walked the lummox, met Commandante Cinco at the McDonald's and headed down to our favorite neighborhood in Winston: The Throughfare District. Or as I like to think of it, the Borders, Nawab, Whole Foods Triangle. I told Cinco about my ambition to retire right there, within walking distance of everything worthwhile (except that Winston moved the branch library). Cinco agreed. Now he wants to retire there too. But for the same reason I will retire in Central Florida, he will retire in Mexico City.

So I had a fun day. Bought a few things, mainly at Total Wine and Target, including a cheap fountain pen (I sure hope Maire is not reading this). And a timer to time my writing periods (when I use the fountain pens). Also bought several bottles of nice wine to drink while writing with said fountain pen.

Everything is circular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home