.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

When we last saw poor Clemens ...

... he was consoling himself eating homemade beef and beer soup in the kitchen by himself. Well, except for the 35 lbs of useless dog laying at his feet. I think I am spoiling that boy. He liked the soup even better than I did.

BTW, this afternoon I discovered why Carmen gets so mad at him on his walks. I had to pull a disgusting bone that he was trying to swallow out of his mouth. It didn't help that it was about 93 degrees out today. As it has been for the last few days. You could fry an egg on the pavement but he'd rather walk on the tarmac of the old runway than on the grass. His paw pads must be half an inch thick or made out of asbestos.

Had lunch today at Branchiforte's with our local historian friend. He was reminiscing about growing up in a duplex on the hill right behind the restaurant. We talked a bit about the church and a few other things. He knows our dog-sitter and thinks she is very conscientious and takes her pet sitting seriously.

Had dinner at the Mellow Mushroom with Máeráed and her family. Our recovering Republican friend was there too and in fine fettle. So far no one else is running for the office he filed for so he may win! Máeráed was too busy playing with her little DS to say much to me, and Miggs was in a fussy mood, though he did come over to set in my lap. I let him, mainly to give his poor parents a break. It looks like his hair is growing a bit. For a Vietnamese kid his hair is light colored and has a bit of a curl.

I let Máire take Carmen's car. Murty will drive it to the airport tomorrow and bring it back on Friday. The Neon is broken. Máire is not happy with the local Chrysler dealer, but then in my 20 years here I have never heard of anyone who was.

Well, that pretty much covers everything going on for the moment. I am deep into the history of the Indo-Iranians, the Aryans, and Vedic culture. I will try to get some writing done tomorrow on the article.

So, to bed. Once I finish this beer I am drowning my sorrows with. And planning my trip to Chapel Hill on Friday to see Mulan's dad .... uh ... I mean, to do some serious research in the University Library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home