.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, June 28, 2010

Report on my trip to the big library ...

... also know as Chapel Hill. I dropped the silly beast off at the doggy hotel. The folks there were glad to see him (they must be charging more than I thought). Then off to the really big library on the campus of Chapel Hill. My new CPAP equipment must be working because I didn't fall asleep at the wheel. That always gets a trip off to a good start.

Went into the library and worked the computer catalog for a bit and then went into the periodical room. I'd explain why that is so much fun for me, but I suspect no one would understand. Met Mulan's dad there as planned.

He and I went off to dinner at the Mediterranean Cafe on Franklin Street. It was good food, but crowded and warm. No, make that hot. We were at about 90 when I left home and it was quite a bit hotter in Chapel Hill. After dinner we went over to the Irish Pub next door for a brew or two. All the waitresses wore short little Irish skirts. And long white socks. Maybe it is just me, but it reminded me of the school girls in Japanese comic books. But my innate sense of decency prevented me from noticing much of this. Mulan's dad just wanted to talk anyway. Good Irish beer.

He put me up at a dorm room in the Methodist center right next to the Carolina Inn. We went in the Inn. It is very fancy, very old South, and very expensive. He called Mulan and I spoke to her for a minute. She is so grown up now and is such a good niece for me.

The next day we said good-by and I went back into the really big library until almost closing time. Had a bit of trouble finding my car, but I won't bore you with the details of that. Went to Lime and Basil, the Vietnamese place Carmen and I had eaten in before, and had a bowl of Pho - really really good Pho. If you are ever in Chapel Hill check it out.

Got home on Saturday and enjoyed the rest of the weekend sans dog. The little cats were delighted.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home