.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Addendum to report for yesterday:

Friday, that is. (ooops - there was no report for yesterday).

Went up to Boone to the county court house to see our recovering Republican friend Alan-a-Dale throw his hat in the ring to run for supervisor of soil and water conservation. Let's just say he has his reasons. They involve neither water nor soil nor conservation. I wish him luck on that. Aside from me, his ex history prof, he had his mother and about 7 or 8 young friends show up. His land lady and next door neighbor also were there. I think he bribed them with an offer of lunch at Galileo's. Anyway, we will count it as a groundswell of grassroots support.

Since it is the bar closest to the front door of the Board of Elections I went over too (solely as a show of solidarity in a good cause). Had their usual good soup, a cheap beer, and some, uh, interesting conversation. Some of it with a three year old about the colors of the cabin in the stain glass window right behind our head. And the bug that was crawling around between us. Unlike most little boys he didn't kill it.

Alan-a-Dale thought it was hilarious to watch me talk to a three year old.

I told him I wasn't going to vote for him anyway.

2 Comments:

Anonymous The Old Man said...

Hey, talking to three year olds may be more intellectually stimulating than some of the politicians that I read about.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

It would certainly be a heck of a lot more fun! You'd have a smile on your face and leave happy.

6:27AM!!!! I'm shocked!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home