.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Very late night report ....

... we have had some weird lightning and thunder here tonight with high winds, but the storm never showed up. Leo does not seem to be bothered by the thunder and lightning as much as he used to be. So far he and the girls seem to be taking the absence of Carmen in stride, though we have had the usual problems with the futon (Ben) and the carpet (Mosby).

Yesterday after walking the little lummox I rushed up to have dinner with Máeráed and her family. Instead of mac n cheese we had rice and chicken and something they never did explain to me. It was good though. Clovis was there too. Mr Miggs got rid of his pants fairly early in the evening, then took the phone out of my hand to talk to Carmen. I didn't think he would say much but he started chattering away. I had to snatch the phone back.

Today I went up the mountain to the Black Elvis' house for a good bye party for Dave and Karen. Mr Miggs was there and soon divested himself of his pants. Máeráed took me out for a walk in the woods. She said we were going to a fort and she knew exactly where it was. We started walking and I said "Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure!"

Some time later, "Are you sure you know where this fort it?"

"Of course I do! It's just over the other side of the hill Uncle Clemens!"

Five minutes later: "Are you sure? I think we have been by this part of the trail before."

"NO, it's right over there!" she says, pointing in a direction completely different from the way we started out. Or the way we are going for that matter.

Soon the slightly older boys whose fort it was came through the woods and saw us.

Sensing rescue from this walk in the woods, I ask them if they know where the fort is.

"Sure - it's over there!" and they point in a completely new direction.

"See? I told you I knew where it was," said Máeráed.

Memo to self: don't go into the woods with self assured 8 year olds. Especially if they say they know where they are going.

Anyway, I left after a brief stay in the fort, which turned out to be a clear spot by a small stream under lots of branches, bushes and other stuff. One of the older boys kept warning us about the copperheads. I left Máeráed with the boys at her insistence. The boys ignored her and continued their conversation about the difference between Wiccans and Witches.

When I finally got home I took the lummox out for his walk down by the back end of the Greenway. For some reason he really did NOT want to cross over the boardwalk and go down the trail. I don't think he likes it for some reason but can't figure out why. After about 20 minutes I took him back to the car. He seemed fine with that. It was over 90 here today so maybe he was just too hot.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Warning to Laura on her return. After our week at the beach we picked Pebbles up early a.m. from "the vet hotel". We thought she was fine. That evening by the side door on the rug were "2 long presents" she left us. The next day I found "2 round presents" left for us by the bed, under the plug with the clock radio. Clearly no where near the kitty litter. They know how to punish.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Maire said...

It was pork kho (simmered in caramel sauce). Easy and tasty beyond belief. The pork was from Amy's farm; I keep home-made Vietnamese caramel sauce in my cupboard. It's the color of black coffee, and to make it in the "high" elevation of Deep Gap took a but of experimentation, but I got there. Maggie is already planning your next dinner with us, so you're forewarned.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home