.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Complines report...

... it's too late for anything else. I had a good, relatively productive day. Spent some time on the computer going through the library holdings and researching the late Byzantine Empire's military situation. Found a lot of good stuff. Then I read through my manuscript draft of the article on the Alan expedition to Byzantium. I have not finished writing the narrative yet but once I do the analysis should be simple since I've already put so much thought into it.

Perhaps because I was in a late Roman mood after all that I watched about an hour or so of "Fall of the Roman Empire" complete with commentary by the producer's son and another movie expert. Gorgeous movie. In case you have never seen it, it is basically "Gladiator" with a larger cast, better sets and costumes, better script, music, etc., but less excitement.

This morning took the silly dog down to the back end of the Greenway. This time he actually completed the walk. There were lots of bikes on the trail, mostly parents with kids.

Yesterday I took the little beast over to the big Merlefest stage where a gaggle of little 6 year old girls up on the stage for some sort of organized summer program saw him coming. By the time he was about 1/10 of a mile away they started making little dog sounds, woofing and barking at him. He ignored them. When we got up to the stage about a dozen little girls were exclaiming how cute he was and asking if I could bring him up so they could pet him. I took him up to the little camera platform about 3 feet below the stage. Tiny hands reached through the railing and petted him, while he turned his back and gazed out over the sward. He seems to expect this kind of adulation and is willing to put up with it if he must. The little girls were very nice, and very polite, thanking me many times for letting them pet my little dog. If they only knew.

I am holding up well, even though it has been four whole days on my own. Actually, it isn't so bad. Even Ben and Mosby are being sociable. Mosby hops up to sleep with me and Ben has been running all around the house. Yesterday she had one of those head to head confrontations with Fluffy Pasha, the big cat who lives in a box on the porch next door. He raises his head up over the bottom of the big bay window that Ben sleeps in during the day. This usually drives poor Ben into a complete screaming maniacal tear that somehow ends up with her getting into a knock down drag out cat fight with Mosby.

This time there was only a moderate amount of hissing and a rather sedate run under the bed. And in less then a minute she was wandering back into the front room to see what Fluffy was doing. I think this is her idea of flirting.

The house still looks and smells deliciously clean after the two hours Carmen's two friends put into cleaning it yesterday. I can probably undo all of that by Monday. But I have to admit, I could get used to having someone come over to clean up.

It is getting late and I want to go to get up early tomorrow. Alan the Recovering Republican is having a ceremony to mark his filing to run for commissar of Soil and Water Conservation. I have to think, what harm can he do in that position?

I mean, compared to, say, BP in the Gulf?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Laura said...

Banany's recovery continues to amaze. She tires a little more easily than usual, and she is itchy from the surgical tape, but otherwise she is good. When last seen, she was scratching her back against a corner of the wall. Plans for the day include trying to get a library card for me, and walking around Target in search of that chocolate ice cream recommended by Consumer's Report. Ms. Ashby is coming home today from her extended sleepover at Bo and Baba's. Wish us luck!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous The Old Man said...

How do we get a "her" cat named Ben?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

What?

You have a problem with that?

(the vet lied).

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home