.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

On my own ...

... now that Carmen has left me. Well, for three weeks while she is suffering from the extreme heat of that pestilential swamp hole to our south, taking care of her sister Binanny while she recovers from surgery I am on my own. Except for the friends Carmen has hired to come over and clean the house once a week. And the neighbors, all of whom she has told to look after me, especially if they see me wandering around the neighborhood reading a book rather than paying attention to the traffic. And I have several options she has set up in case I want to ditch the dog and get out of town.

But I am reduced to cooking for myself. Actually, I rather like that, at least for awhile. My skills tend to involve sharp knives and lots of chopping so I brought out the ol' Crock Pot. Although last night it was late when I got home so I tried my other skill: pan frying a small steak. That worked well. This morning before I took the lummox out for his walk I chopped up a bunch of stuff and threw it into the Crock Pot along with some special herbs and spices (mainly curry powder and cumin) and let it go all day (my finger should be healed by the end of the week).

It turned out to be Lentil Curry soup and was excellent if I do say so. I gave a bit of the broth to the little lummox and he concurred. (I must admit though that it has been some time since the lummox had any other reaction to any type of food)

Tomorrow, of course, will be dinner with Máeráed and family at the soon to be gone Mellow Mushroom. Her mother has given me a big bag of potato soup and Carmen left me enough spaghetti sauce to feed the Italian army.

So you might say I am fixed for food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home