.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, July 13, 2007

I was a judge at the Sacco and Vanzetti trial....

... today. It was a mock trial for Dr Judd's class in American History. There were three judges, I was one, and the class was divided into two group: prosecution and defense. The defense was prepared, complete with wide ties knotted loosely over their regular shorts and tee shirts. They were ready. Prosecution was a bit spotty, though several on the team were committed, and even got passionate. Especially when one began on the Italian immigrants who wouldn't assimilate and wouldn't become citizens (remember - in 1927 it was the Italians who were going to destroy American civilization by immigrating here in such vast numbers). The head of the prosecuting team clearly wanted to hang Sacco, at the least. If he had to take Vanzetti with him, well, OK. The needs of the many trump the needs of the few.

That was the real issue of the trial, and I heard some interesting opinions about it. I tremble for the Republic, but then, look at the last six years.

But it was all in good fun, and Dr Judd rewarded me with a salmon sandwich and two beers at the Boone Saloon.

Then I went back to my office and took a nap.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home