.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, November 06, 2006

We've been out of town...

.... so no posts on any of my blogs. I know - no one noticed, but I thought I would point it out just the same. I went to Washington D.C. for the Haskins Society Conference. It was in Georgetown as it has for the last three years. It is always fun to be in Georgetown again, since I spent so much time there as a kid. I even remember learning how to canoe on the canal at Georgetown (the first day of the class the instructor fell into the canal). As I get older, though, I enjoy the conference less and less. I am not sure why, perhaps it is only a generational thing. But walking through Georgetown and eating at new restaurants was certainly fun.

Every evening Carmen and I would meet back at our hideously overpriced room, wait until about 9pm and walk down Wisconsin Ave and M St until we were tired or found a place that looked good. One of the best restaurants was the Miss Saigon, which had excellent Vietnamese food. The calamari was the best I've ever had. We also ate one night in a Tex-Mex place that had a couple of Mexican singers, completes with wails, yells and whistles. They were fun, especially when they started singing along as customers had a steady stream of tequila squirted into their mouths for about 5 seconds each. That's a lot of tequila, especially when you do it twice as one guy did. Carmen kept speculating on how they were going to feel in the morning.

Sunday, after hearing a talk about the Gesta consulum Andegavorum and its image of Angevin participation in the Crusades, which I was interested in, we lest the conference early and met my old roommate, Steve and Cindy for lunch. They took us over to the Grasby tavern in Alexandria. The food was good, and the waiters all wore colonial costume. It was a gorgeous day so we walked around Alexandria for awhile. It has certainly changed from the 60s when I knew it best.

We left Washington about 4pm and drove as far as Roanoke and finally got home today to rescue the little lummox from the kennel. They gave him a bath so he is all fluffy and clean. And very glad to be home. The little cats are much less happy to see him back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yes, I had noticed that you were quiet on the posts. Mother had told me you 2 were going to Washington, I just hadn't put the 2 things together. Sounds like your culinary taste buds where given a nice trip. I guess neither of you participated in the tequila? Glad you got back safely and I can't really picture the little lummox as "fluffy".

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. He looks great. Just like it says on his collar - 'Spiffy Dog.' His tail looks a bit like those new dusters.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home