.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Me and Lummox - the Killer!

... we had an interesting day yesterday. It was beautiful but very windy. Because the little beast likes to explore new places I took him over to the park at the Dam. We parked up at the picnic/playground area on top of the dam and then walked down to the walking track by the resevoir lake. It was cool and windy so Lummox was in the mood to run and I did my best to keep up. When he is like that I think of him as my own personal trainer.

On the far side of the track he slowed down and I was glad for the rest. He was wandering rather aimlessly though the grass by the track. Suddenly he plunged his entire snout into the earth, pulled up some little grey animal, shook it viciously two or three times and dropped it. He sniffed the little creature and then moved off, only to return in a minute or so to pick it up and shake it a few more times and drop it.

The animal was a large fat mole. What a thing to happen to it. He was just setting peacefully in his burrow when suddenly his whole world is crushed by a slavering monster and in two shakes he is dead. I doubt if he even knew what hit him, Lummox was so quick.

So there he was, laying in a grave he'd unwittingly dug for himself, little pink feet sticking in the air like supplicating hands. Nature is like that sometimes, I suppose.

Gives me a whole new perspective on Lummox though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home