.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Belief-o-Matic test....

... can lead to some peculiar results, in the most old fashioned, literal sense. You can take it yourself here.

And, here are my results, purporting to show the religions that most nearly match my religioius views.

1. Reform Judaism (100%)
2. Bahá'í Faith (88%)
3. Liberal Quakers (86%)
4. Orthodox Judaism (81%)
5. Sikhism (79%)
6. Islam (77%)
7. Unitarian Universalism (76%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (75%) [what I actually profess to be!]
9. Neo-Pagan (65%)
10. Jainism (64%)
11. Orthodox Quaker (57%)
12. Mahayana Buddhism (56%)
13. New Age (55%)
14. Theravada Buddhism (47%)
15. Seventh Day Adventist (42%)
16. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (42%)
17. Hinduism (41%)
18. Secular Humanism (40%)
19. New Thought (40%)
20. Taoism (39%)
21. Scientology (38%)
22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (38%)
23. Nontheist (31%)
24. Eastern Orthodox (30%)
25. Roman Catholic (30%)
26. Jehovah's Witness (27%)

Joey took it first, then Carmen, and finally me. Oddly, we all had Reform Judaism as our top, 100% match. Hmmm.

But I am more intrigued that the Bahá'í Faith at 88% is in second place. I only regret that New Age and Scientology are not lower on the list. Carmen wants to know why Roman Catholic is so low. Well, off to Wikipedia to do some reading up on the Bahá'í.

And I am disappointed that the Belief-o-Matic doesn't have Zoroastrianism.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

My top 100% match was Orthodox Quaker.....hmmmmmm.....I wonder what that means. Maybe I need to take the test again.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

No, you just need to become an orthodox Quaker. There are worse things.

I am still curious about the Bah'ai'.

Oscar

4:23 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yes, I'm curious about that one too. I had that one at #14 with 50%. There must be something on the internet about it. I will go look now.

Not so sure about becoming a Quaker - I don't think I could give up my clothes and shoes.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah'ai is from Iran; adherents believe that a prophet comes to every generation (Moses, Buddha, Krishna, Chrst, Mohammed, etc.). I had a student a few years ago whose parents left Iran due to persecution there.

It seems I'm a libraral Protestant -- My Catholic score was only 52%! It's a bit more disturbing that my Seventh Day Adventist score was 61% and I KNOW I'd never convert to that religion; even weirder, it tied with Buddhism.

Here are my top scores:
1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (88%)
3. Orthodox Quaker (86%)
4. Unitarian Universalism (81%)

10:11 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

I think it is interesting how Quaker comes up surprisingly often.

Among everyone who I have see take the test, it is always in the top 5.

--Joey

10:56 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

Yeah, I've wondered about that too. Right after Judaism. Perhaps it simply managed to distill most of the reasonable aspects of generic Christianity and that is what we unconsciously try to do.

Or consciously.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home