.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, October 16, 2006

There was a nasty car accident at the end of our street...

.... at the beginning of the week. It was in the evening, after dinner for everyone except Carmen and me, when suddenly the lights went out for a minute or so. A few minutes after that we heard a wave of sirens coming towards our neighborhood. Then in a few more minutes a second wave of sirens. Carmen decided to go get us something for dinner and left out the back way of our neighborhood. I waited another ten minutes or so and heard yet another wave of sirens coming our way.

I couldn't stand it anymore so I drove down towards the sirens telling myself I had to get some gas. At the end of School Street I could see what looked like dozens of flashing blue lights, fire trucks, ambulances and police officers. I stopped and got out to have a look. By this time there were lots of people looking down into the deep ditch that Moravian Creek and a side stream make when they join right at the juncture of School Street and 268. There was a car at the bottom, resting on the side of the ditch and pinned there by lines put up by the rescue people. As I watched, the firemen down in the ditch used some kind of machine to snip off the roof of the car and remove it. Then they started working to rescue the person still inside.

I looked at the hundred spectators, the four squad cars, two unmarked police cars, the four ambulances and the two huge firetrucks, all with their lights flashing, and the two dozen of more police and firemen and decided that they did not need me at that moment and left.

Later when I read the news account I got a better idea of what had happened. Instead of teenagers out for a lark, which is what I assumed had happened, it was a 53 year old woman driving down 268 when she suddenly flew across the road, hit a power pole, and flipped over into the culvert. It was apparently one of her passengers who was trapped in the car. Investigators speculated that the driver may have had some type of siezure.

Never a dull moment in the Un-Mayberry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home