.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, October 21, 2006

An Iranian cartoonist whose work I love...

.... and I think you will too. She is Marjane Satrapi and has done several autobiographical comic book biographies. Her art is severe, simple, and oddly compelling. Her stories are finely observed little vignettes of life and questioning before, during, and after the Iranian Revolution. I could try to describe her work in more detail, but think it is better just to offer you a sample of her work from her latest book, Chicken with Plums found in Salon.com.

Do yourself a favor and read this little story about the death of her great grandmother.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed the story. I'm going to see if they have any of her books at our library. Thanks for sharing.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

You're welcome. I think your library ought to have some of them. I like her first one, "Persepolis" [City of the Persians] the best becasuse she does such a good job of creating her character as a young girl.

And, since Christmas is just around the corner (the decorations at the stores are probably set to go up on Wed morning!), I wouldn't mind having the new one for Christmas!

Just in case anyone is making a list.

Oscar

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home