.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Our grand fall adventure...

... well, not really an adventure, but a remarkably pleasant day. This year in the mountains the fall colors have been splendid. Today was a Saturday, Carmen did not have to work, I was caught up on all my schoolwork, and the weather was clear, bright, and crisp rather than cold. In other words, the perfect fall day. Wilkesboro is the perfect place to start a trip to see the fall colors since it is surrounded by mountains on three sides. We were anxious to get underway.
We drove up Highway 16 to the restaurant at the Glendale Springs Inn. It’s one of our favorite restaurants up here. We had the usual good meal. I had hot cider just because it seemed like a hot cider day. It was so good that to keep Carmen from drinking all of mine she had to get her own cup for dessert.

One other added treat to the restaurant: every time I go there I laugh at the pictures the Inn has proudly on its wall showing the visit of Bill Clinton and Al Gore about a decade ago. Most of my relatives would probably be disgusted! Which, of course, just makes them that much more enjoyable.

From there we drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Doughton Park which has wonderful views. Someday I would like to come up to the hotel there and stay a night or so, with a big stack of books and notebooks, and set by the big fireplace out on the patio and gaze at the mountains. Oh, I might go for a hike or two, but mostly I would read and write. When we had looked all we wanted we turned around and drove back down the parkway to home. The scenery was simply marvelous and Carmen and I had a great day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me want to be up there in the mountains. Sure do like the autumn colors. The most change here is from green to brown.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home