.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, November 17, 2006

I am thinking of going on a Retreat soon....

... probably in January. It's purpose is mainly to draw a line between my life as a teacher and semi-administrator, and my live as an active scholar for the next eight months. It is also a chance for some spiritual exploration (I do not like the expression ‘spiritual growth' for some reason).

I have spoken to my priest at the Episcopal Church, who had some good ideas, and to one of my colleagues, Dom Lorenzo. Lorenzo apparently has been to every monastic retreat in North America, including St John's abbey in Minnesota. He said St John's was the most rewarding because he actually lived with the monks and took part in their daily routines.

I have narrowed it down to two places to go. One is the Abbey of the Holy Cross in Berryville, Virginia, not very far from where I grew up. The other is Mepkin Abbey not far from Charleston in South Carolina.

If anyone out there has any advice or observations about such retreats, please let me know in a comment. It will be a new experience for me... (now if I could just fine a monastery with a scriptorium).

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Sounds like a great idea and I'll look at both web sites later. My first thought was, of course, the Abbey in Berryville.

Your old(er) sister

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home