.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Today when I went to church...

... there was another Biblical reading that made me think. This time it was James 1:17-27. Here's what struck my ear:

You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce God's righteousness.


And:

If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
I am often struck by how quiet and modest Jesus and the apostles expected Christians to be. I learned that growing up in the Episcopal version of Christianity, but fashions change I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home