.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Me and fountain pens...

.... I love fountain pens. I am not a collector. Every pen I own I expect to be a first rate writing instrument, otherwise it is as useless as an expensive car that won’t start in a Minnesota winter. It’s nothing but an overpriced ornament. I am too often disappointed in my pens.

My new Pelikan Epoch is an attractive pen, for example, but it has very poor ink flow. I don’t know quite what to do with it. I am not used to using cartridges, so perhaps that is the problem. But it certainly warns me off from the Mont Blanc Starwalker. I am not paying more than $300 for a cartridge only fountain pen.

I should stick to the pens I have that I enjoy writing with. It’s not that many. My Levenger Samba pen started out as a drag. Over time, however, the ink flow has improved to become one of my favorite writers. It puts out plenty of ink - now. I like the feel of the titanium nib too. Extremely flexible. Yet my other Levenger titanium pen is a disaster. It skips and stutters so badly that despite the flexible feel of the nib it is positively unpleasant to use.

The pens I will stick with: my two Levenger Seas pens (with medium and fine points), the Samba, and my Parker Sonnet. The Sonnet is probably the best writing pen of them all, though I am not wild about the nib. Oh yes. My new broad nibbed Italian pen. It lays out a thick trail of ink that is wonderful for signing documents and for writing lectures. Even my fading cataract ridden eyes can see what I write.

The moral of this post? NO MORE MONEY FOR FOUNTAIN PENS!!


Update: After writing this post late last night I got up this morning and found an e-mail message about the Fountain Pen Hospital's new super-duper sale! Somehow I managed to resist. Instead I carefully cleaned my cranky Pelikan Epoch pen and blew water through it to clear the nib, then added a brand new Pelikan ink cartridge -- and sure enough, now it doesn't write at all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no WAY youa re going to stop buying fountain pens. You may not be a collector, but you are an addict.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

Hey, that's not true! I LIKE fountain pens, I don't NEED them. It just that ... uh...umm.. wait a minute - Carmen is telling me I have to clean up the mess I made this morning when I cleaned and filled my pens. And I really need to finish that article on Australian fountain pens I was reading in 'Pen World International' I was reading at lunchtime - and I have a few letters to hand write.

I'll get back to you on this.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home