.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, August 28, 2006

Today I got to ride the bus to work...

... for the first time. Appalachian State up in Boone runs its own little bus ride line in the High Country. Last week it started running a line from Greensboro to Boone and back. So after talking big about how I would love to be able to save gas by riding a bus or a train to work I thought it was time to put my money where my mouth (or blog) was. To the tune of $6 round trip, which is about what the gas for the same trip would cost (it is 70 miles and takes about 2.5 gals).

So I got up early this morning, walked over to the tennis courts at the Community College, and waited for the bus. On time to the minute the bus showed up - a nice big bus with comfy seats. I was one of three passengers. 50 minutes later the bus left me out on campus and I walked to the Bagelry for breakfast. Then I stumbled off to work.

In the evening I left my office at five and walked over to the Boone Saloon, where I had my beer and tapas. Admired the waitress, and saw Bill H. of all people (a very long story about a face from the past). The lively, maniacal glint in his eyes hasn't dimmed a bit after all these years.

At 6:30 walked out back of the saloon to the bus station. Right on time the same bus with a different driver showed up. This time I was the only passenger. I felt like it was my own personal bus and driver. Off we went across the ridges, through Deep Gap and down the mountain. In the evening light, dark and moltan, I could see the mountains all around me. i love the mountains and the foothills. Of all the times in a week I head up and down that way, I never have the luxury to look around while I drive. It was relaxing, and I could read all the way home.

So - it won't work most days because of my schedule, but once or twice a week I can take the bus. If anyone else out there making the same trip is reading this, I would certainly recommend it. Save gas, relax, and take it easy on the bus.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anybody ride the bus, or do you have to be a university person?

Greek God

1:16 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

Anybody can ride it, as long as they pay their money. Might be a good way to go to Winston or Greensboro. Unfortunately it doesn't stop at the Triad airport.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home