.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, August 18, 2006

Now that I am back from that big port city to the south ....

... I have to start thinking about my classes next week. Ugh. Found out that one of the books I want, 1066: The Year of the Three Battles is no longer available in the States and odering it from England results in a surcharge to the students. So on to plan B. If I had a plan B.

Last night I came up to Boone, the lovely city of the High Country. After working for awhile in my office I found Young Tim who was actually at home. His home is a little cabin (aka a shack) that his granddad built about 50 yrs ago. We tried to eat dinner at Peppers, but the hostess seated us at the worst table in the place and told us we would have to wait if we wanted another spot - even though there were tables and booths empty. Than we waited for about 10 minutes with no service.

Several hours later, as we finished our dinner at Dos Amigos Mexican place, and after several cervezas, I decided to sleep over at the cabin. It is on a creek just around a curve from the urban sprawl of Boone. Traffic is heavy on the road going by, but inside the cabin it is quiet and surprisingly cool. As I lay on the futon I could hear the little creek bubbling away about 6 feet from the cabin. It's a rustic little shack - about the size of a loft apartment. Rough wooden beams overhead, plain white walls and small logs with the bark still on framing the windows. A great little get away place, as a real-estate agent might say.

Got off to work this morning while Young Tim took off to Winston for the Bob Dylan concert.
Wish I could have gone with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home