.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Una fiesta para Luci!

MHF and I were lucky enough to be invited to a party for the three year old daughter of Mexican friends from church - a genuine Mexican fiesta complete with two piñatas and some of the best carnitas I have ever had cooking outside in a huge bubbling vat. Little Luci had just turned three and it was her party. Apparently in Mexico it is the custom to make a big deal over the third birthday. There were nearly 70 people there, most of them kids. They had great fun whacking away at the piñatas - even I got some candy when they burst open.

I tried out my rusty Spanish with the adults, but all of the kids could speak English, except for those too young to speak anything. I sat next to a young lady of 16 who may go to the university in accounting. She says she is good at math, which is unusual these days. I hope she does decide to go on to school when she finishes high school. Right now she is studying cosmetology.

The family giving the party werextraordinarilyly generous hosts. It was a good time in old Wilkes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home