.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I knew it was a mistake to shower at the 'Y!

Not that there is anything wrong with the 'Y' - it's a wonderful facility. I went for my spinning class, trying to get in shape. The instructors are usually very young, very fit, and ferociously determined to prove that even after several children, they can keep the same waste line they had when they were 16. Usually it just about kills me and convinces me that perhaps I should stick to walking for exercise but today Cherie was the instructor. She's a little more laid back, and a lot more talkative, than any of the others. So the time passes quickly.

Then the trouble started - in the shower room. Where they have huge mirrors almost the entire wall, floor to ceiling. You get to see all of yourself in the all together. Under florescent lighting that makes you look your absolute best! And just in case you miss the point, there are scales right there to weigh yourself on. I did. I am now rapidly revising my exercise program: walk the Little Lummux every evening, go biking or spinning at least 3 times a week, and walk 10,000 paces every day, even if it means I am pacing around the house reading a book before you go to bed.

And it all started with an innocent trip to the 'Y'.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear less wine helps too, but I hate that theory.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

I never heard that. And I haven't read this comment. La La la la la.

Wine is a health food, dammit!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I have decided that my health routine will be every night to have 1 glass of red wine and 1 piece of Dove dark chocolate - they say both are good for you.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

Elizabeth - that's what I've been trying to say. Wine and dark chocolate. Health foods!

I've known that for years - and now the world is recognizing that I was right.

Now if they could just discover that red meat is good for memory loss.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home