.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

While reading my library book of poety by Fernado Pessoa I came across these two quotes in the introduction. I'll put them down here, as if this blog were my little notebook.

Psychoanlysis is too poor a science to explain the case of Pessoa, who seems to have been, simply, mysteriously, possessed by a demon -- that of detachment.

And:
Though Pessoa wrote excellent English for a foreigner, it lacked the organic fiber and carnal weight of what is so aptly known as a mother tongue.

I love that last phrase. How many of us can actually use our mother tongue with 'organic fiber and carnal weight?'

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'fiber and carnal weight'?
OK, so how do you explain Joseph Conrad?

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home