.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, May 29, 2006

Me and my fish monger....

.... also known as Lee's Fresh Seafood on West D Street in North Wilkesboro. It's summertime, I am not teaching, and MFH has once again appointed me Captain of the Kitchen for the summer (it is, of course, an honor I don't deserve). I try to serve fish at least once a week, so off to Lee the Fish Monger I go. This last week I didn't get there until 4:45 on Saturday, just as he was getting ready to close until he gets fresh fish the following Wednesday. I bought the pound of salmon I wanted, and then suddenly he says, do you want any scallops, they won't be any good next week. And hands me a bag of about a dozen huge scallops. Then he says, how about some tuna, and hands me a tuna steak. Next he throws in a swordfish steak for good measure. All as a gift.

So I am now recommending my good friend Lee for anyone who wants seafood. It's better then Lowes, a better selection, and the money all goes into a local business.

BTW, the salmon was great that evening when I fixed them with a honey mustard sauce with walnuts, and the scallops were delicious the next evening when MFH sauted them in an orange sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home