.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, June 05, 2006

Maeréad came down the mountain to visit us.

Now she is four, as she will tell anyone who even looks at her, and a lot of fun to be around. One of the reasons I like to go get her for the afternoon is that rather than transfer the car seat it is easier to leave my standard issue Subaru with 167 hp and middle-American suspension and take her Dad's WRX, with 226 hp and the European sports suspension. It's a burden, but I am willing to make the sacrifice for my little friend.

Once she got here Auntie MFH, Maeréad, and myself all went over to the old Liberty Theatre and watched 'Over the Hedge.' There is nowhere else I know of to watch good first run movies for so cheap. We all enjoyed the movie: it's not 'Shrek' but it still was a lot of fun.

Halfway through the movie Maeréad leaned over and whispered, 'Uncle Oscar, why aren't you wearing your clear glasses in a movie?' I had forgotten to take off my prescription dark glasses! I had thought the movie house was a little dark.

We came home and while MFH fixed dinner Maeréad and I tried to watch the Garfield the Cat DVD she had brought with her. But it didn't work at all - we kept getting an 'Invalid Region' message on the screen. Later we learned that since Maeréad is Irish, her Garfield DVD was Irish, and our DVD player is strictly American.

There was very nearly an Irish meltdown, complete with tears and screaming, but fortunately the Little Lummox started chasing her around the room which distracted her long enough for me to cue up the 'Star Wars' music DVD. Once it started and she saw Princess Padme and the boys, she would stop and watch it for a few minutes, and then continue her chase with Lummox for a bit more.

Her parents came down for dinner and so that they could pick her up, although both kept saying that they would be happy to let us keep her for the night ... or the week. But I think her dad really wanted his WRX back.

After dinner Maeréad and I watched 'The Iron Giant' while the adults all talked out in the kitchen. It is a wonderful little animated film, btw, if you haven't seen it. As soon as she left with her parents the Little Lummox, and Oscar, collapsed.

Just another beautiful Saturday here in the land of Wilkes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home