.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, June 04, 2007

The day at the Merle Fest ...

... which happened over a month ago. Just never got around to posting. Anyway, it was the day of my birthday. My friend Maeráed and her folks came by the house and we walked over. Stood at the sand sculpture where we met our friends from Brooklyn. I went off with them to hear Bela Fleck, one of my favorites. We were able to find chairs just a few rows back from the stage.

After that I rejoined Maeráed and family for lots of greasy festival food. We stayed late that evening to listen to Elvis Costello. I didn't think I would enjoy him much, but I actually did. I had no idea that he was a bluegrass song writer for the likes of Johnny Cash.

Meanwhile I had a chance to observe Maeráed's ever evolving dance style. Last year she was into really frenetic full throttle running around in circles while flapping her arms. It was exhausting just to watch. She was three then. This year at four she has developed a more thoughtful, interpretive mode of dancing. Lots of hands to brow, romantic look, sudden explosion of movement, followed by slow and thoughtful steps with wrist to brow again. Unless she just flops on the grass. Then she suddenly leaps up for another quick step.

A good time was obviously had by all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home