.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Maeráed and Me, and Max and Ruby...

... which was originally supposed to be a puppet show. The day I finished my sleep test, conducted by Nurse Cindy of Torquemada M.D. and Assocs., I took my friend Maeráed to see a puppet show. It was part of a Rosemary Wells, illustrator of children's' books, presentation. I thought I would enjoy hear Ms Wells talk about her work whatever it was. Other than that I knew nothing about her but Carmen informed me she is "a big deal" in the kiddy-lit world because of her Max and Ruby books. I had never heard of them either but would soon learn in exquisite detail.

I picked Maeráed up from her day care and off we went to the show in what would turn out to be an awful frigid rain (probably what brought on this annoying cold). I told the divine Ms M that the puppet show had been cancelled, and would be replaced with a reading by Rosemary Wells and a 'children's' musician', whatever that meant. Maeráed kept calling it a puppet show anyway, displaying her usual strict attention to her Uncle Clemens.

She did, however, ask why the puppets weren't performing. I told her that I thought they had gone on strike. She wanted to know what a 'strike' was. Once I explained she seemed to accept that as another one of her uncle's goofy ideas (please see the discussion of the notorious Laotian puppet strike). She just kept saying we were going to the puppet show. And so we were...

[next post: the 'puppet' show]

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home