.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Spanish and the quest for food here in Wilkes ...

.... can get to be interesting and educational. Two days ago I had a hunger for juevos con chorizos for lunch, so I went over to Chile Verde restaurant. When the waiter seated me I politely said "Gracias." He must have been one of the few of their staff who is not more comfortable in English than Spanish because from that point on we carried on our conversation in Spanish. Alas, they did not have any eggs, so I had to change my order to taquitos. But I felt good about being able to handle a lesson one level conversation in Spanish.

The next day I had to walk from David's Car Care back home. It was a gorgeous morning so I walked down the Greenway to the foot bridge, up the slope to the courthouse, uh, I mean the Heritage Museum. Decided to have lunch at Buen Amigo, the Honduran restaurant. The Hispanic there spoke English so no more Spanish practice. But they had juevos con chorizos plus those little Honduran tortillas. It was good stuff. Food is certainly one reason to appreciate the influx of immigrants.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home