.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, February 09, 2007

Just for Joey.... A further word about the monks and beer ....

... well, I think my lil' sister also said something about it. But this is from the Rule of Saint Benedict, the original rule books for monks, at least in western Europe:
"Everyone has personal gifts from God, one this and anther that" (1 Cor. 7:7). It is, therefore, with some uneasiness that we specify the amount of food and drink for others. However, with due regard for the infirmities of the sick, we believe that a half bottle of wine a day is sufficient for each. But those to whom God gives the strength to abstain must know that they will earn their reward.

You'll notice that nothing is said about beer. But I think I could handle the handle the half bottle of wine a day, especially if I could save them up for the weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

Depending on the translation, I believe I read on a Beer forum there was debate as to the definition of "wine" since the word for "wine" was the same for beer.

I mean, wouldn't be a nice thought that Jesus turned water into a Belgian Trippel?

--Joey

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home