.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, October 01, 2006

I continue with my gas milage experiment ....

.... and it seems to be working. The last few tanks I averaged about 28.8 mpg, which is a bit better than the 27 mpg I usually average. I have been driving just at the speed limit, don't accelerate fast, and try to time the stop lights so I don't spend much time idling.

This last tank I did even more of that, even driving 5 mph under that speed limit when there was no traffic behind me. When I come home in the evening, as I tilt over the lip of Deep Gap, I put the car in neutral and coasted down to the bottom of the mountains. It's about 5 or 6 miles before I slow down enough to engage the gears again.

I am not sure this is the best way to drive, partly because it will increase wear on my breaks, but the last time I tanked up I got 30.9 mgp. That's great - nearly 4 miles more than the EPA rating.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, if you drove a stick, you could downshift instead of braking and save a fair bit of gas.

If you drove a stick,,

11:48 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

But...if he drove a shift it would require 2 hands to drive and would not leave one with which to hold a book to read. My friends were always impressed that he could drive and read at the same time.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do NOT read a book while I am driving. I listen to them on my car's CD player. So there.

(Did your friends ever complain?)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Books on CD/tapes - what a great invention for you. And no, they never complained - they thought it was great (I don't think that Mrs. Erwin thought it was great though!).

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home