.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, July 14, 2006

Maeréad and I had a chance to spend some time together.

Her mother Maire an Rua has gone off to Ireland, to learn Irish of all things! So her poor dad is stuck alone with a four year old (funny how MFH and I never think this way when he runs off to Texas!).

It was a chance to get my hands on the WRX, so I kindly offered to pick Maeréad up on my way in to Boone Tuesday morning and take her to day care. Got to her house at at about 8am (the crack of dawn for me). Once I strapped her into her car seat I turned to talk to her Dad. Immediately she began to give commands: "Okey, Uncle Oscar, get in the car! Let's go to school!" Et cetera. Her dad turned away muttering something that sounded like "thought I'd got rid of the bossy one."

So we rode off to her school, with Miss Maeréad chattering away. She's happy, in fact delighted, to be called a chatterbox. She gave me very explicit directions how to get there.

I spent the day working on the new schedule, advising two very problematic students (one of them keeps getting pregnant due to the activities of the other), and playing around with my blogs (only for about 15 or 20 minutes, honest).

Picked young madam up that afternoon so she could come over to my office. She decorated the hallway with some wonderfully vivid Maeréad originals, went to her mother's office, drew, colored, ran up and down the hall and then started bothering 'her David'.

Finally we all went over to the Mellow Mushroom where I had a much needed beer. Or two. Clovis was there too, and her dad showed up to regain custody of his WRX and agreed to take his daughter off my hands too. It was a fun evening.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I must admit - being Oscar's sister - I have never thought of him as being very "child friendly". I am truly amazed at his charming stories of Mulan and Maeréad. Little ones are nice when they are returnable though, aren't they Uncle Oscar???

11:51 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

What? I didn't seem child friendly when you were little? Honest, I thought every little girl was interested in Roman history.

And wait until I get through with a post about Maeread coming down to spend the weekend with us! We are still resting up. Her dad arrived just in time.

I think I'll go have a beer. Don't laugh - MFH may have one too. Maybe two.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home