.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Monday, March 13, 2006

Now, from an unnamed port city far to the south...
Despite our mutual flu, MFH and I drove for two days to get down here in time for my nephew's wedding. It was an ordeal. The drive, not the wedding, which was a lot of fun. Very multicultural: Vietnamese, Filipinos, one Cuban, and a bunch of Scotch-Irish/German/Welsh Virginians. The food was great. It was provided by the Filipinos, with a bit from the Vietnamese. None of it was supplied by the Scotch-Irish! (Can anyone even name a Scotch-Irish food?). Maybe that is why is was so good.

Since then we have been laying at home, trying to heal. I am annoyed at being sick, and especially annoyed that I gave the flu to my niece Mulan when she came down from the mountains to visit with us last weekend.

So I will be away from the Land of Wilkes for a week or so. Perhaps I will try to figure out how to link other sites that have material related to Wilkes to my site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home