.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Book of Common Prayer on marriage....

As I said in the last post, one of the great cultural benefits of being raised Episcopalian is familiarity with the Book of Common Prayer. MFH gave me a modernized edition of the original 1559 edition of it. I took it in to show it to the Book Club and this is what we found are the words to be spoken by a man to his bride in the 'The Form of Solemnization of Matrimony' aka the Wedding Vows:

With this ring I thee wed: with my body I thee worship: and with all my worldly goods I thee endow. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Needless to say the ladies of the Club were totally charmed; the men somewhat nervous. I am not sure wether it was the 'with my body I thee worship' or the 'with all my worldly goods I thee endow' that appealed the most to the ladies.

Those old Elizabethans may have been more progressive than we thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home