.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I still live!
After three or four days of misery, I think I have recovered from the nastiest flu I have ever had. At first I thought I got it from my students, who live mostly up the mountain, but then I discovered that many of the people I go to church with and many of those MFH works with have come down with it. Suddenly those stories my grandfather used to tell about the great flu epidemic of 1918 (the one in which 14 million people may have died worldwide) don't seem quite so implausible - nor do they seem long ago enough!

So I have done nothing on my blogs, no grading, no writing, very little reading, or anything else that I would usually consider 'constructive'. On the other hand my idea of constructive has changed: laying around all day sleeping, drinking coke, juice and water, and occasionally moving from the bed to the futon to the couch to sleep some more now seems not just constructive, but positively noble.

Finally got out of the house late today to walk the Little Lummox, also known as the Dog. I carefully took him over to Wilkesboro's own splendid dog park, assuming that on a grey Wednesday afternoon no one would be there. No dogs to bother us, I could set on a bench while Lummox scampered to his hearts content. As soon as I got there I noticed that both sides of the fenced area had three to four dogs in it. As soon as I noticed them they notice Lummox the Dog, began to snarl and snap, and Lummox responded in kind. As I was attempting to drag him away, we saw two more people bringing absolutely huge dogs into the park. Lummox wanted to kill them. And he probably would have too if I'd let him off the leash, and if he were not 8 inches tall at the shoulders, with funny little legs and great big penguin feet.

This was supposed to be a quiet little expedition to see if I could handle it while MFH was at work. Instead I find myself wrestling with a demented Corgi/Tasmanian Devil mixed breed. Finally got him in the car before he hurt one of those half dozen big dogs.

One the way out though, I noticed something interesting. On Main Street, across from Dooley's Tavern, there is a new restaurant opening soon. It will be called the Buen Amigo and bills itself as a Restaurante Latina, which may indicate that it won't be strictly Mexican. I will take My Favorite Hispanic there when it opens and report back.

By the way, when she got back from work - she had the flu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home