.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Another note on the Episcopalians:
For something perhaps more edifying to a members of the Episcopal Church than my last post, Alexander McCall Smith, author of the best-selling No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, is quoted in The Week magazine as picking the prayer book used by the Episcopal Church in America as one of his best books:
'The Book of Common Prayer has within its covers some of the finest writing in English of any time. The echoing resonances of some of the passagesshow us what the English language can be.'

I agree, though I am biased, having grown up hearing it read out to me nearly every Sunday. It is a wonderful way for a child to be introduced to English. More in my next note.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home