.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, March 21, 2008

Ode to a Portuguese cab driver ....

I am going to post some of my journal entries about our trip to Portugal and Spain, and as I so often do, I will start at the end and get around to the beginning when I feel like it.

Our last day in Portugal was beautiful, which was fortunate since it was the day of the great Lisbon marathon. There were lots of German and French speakers in the breakfast room wearing their bright red marathon togs. As soon as I walked out on to the sidewalk a cab pulled up.

We took off through streets that were partly deserted because it was Sunday. The cabbie turned out to speak good English and we had a pleasant conversation with him about Lisbon and things Portuguese before we reached the Airport.

When we got their and he presented me with the tab, a little over 7 euros, I gave him a 10 euro bill and told him to keep the change. He seemed genuinely puzzled and asked "You don't need it?"

I love the Portuguese. Would that all cab drivers around the world were like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home