.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, March 07, 2008

A man with a gun stalked through campus ...

.... on Monday, according to a report made to the police. This happened about 3:45. At about 4:45 I received an official e-mail to this effect from campus security. They did not seem unduly alarmed.

Then, when I left to go over to the Boone Saloon for Tapas at 5:30 the cleaning ladies told me we were under a lock-down. I walked on out, so a few students walking around talking on their cell phones, and walked on over to the Saloon. Did not see a uniform anywhere.

Hmm. False alarm, I thought to myself.

Well, no. This was Appstate's idea of a lock-down. Later I leaned that they did manage to lock up the kids in the library and in their dorms, two hours after the first report. And then for those students who came onto campus not being aware of the 'situation' - well, they were prevented from entering any of the buildings so they just had to wander around campus, wondering if they would be shot.

Later it became clear that the whole thing was a hoax. Appstate Security seemed to understand this and not take the danger very seriously, but then our town cops swung into action in the finest Barney Fife tradition that North Carolina is so proud of and insisted that the whole campus be shut down, classes cancelled, and the bejeezus scared out of everyone.

Me? I don't feel much safer knowing these guys are in charge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home