.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Maeráed and Maire and Marty are all in Vietnam ....

... for the next two weeks or so picking up a baby brother for Maeráed. They started the adoption process ages ago, and a very few weeks ago were suddenly told 'come over here and pick this kid up!' Or words to that effect. So it looks like Carmen and I will have a little Vietnamese notional relative to spoil along with our real Vietnamese relatives in that unnamed port city to the south, and out in California. His new parents will call him ... Mickey.

Which for some reason reminds me of that scene in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
"There are some who call me .... Tim?"*

I am not sure this is going to work right, but below should be a picture of little Mickey Brown Eyes and his adoring older sister Maeráed. Carmen is already in love with him and says he looks like a little Buddhist monk.


2 Attached Images


There. That seems to work, though I am sure I did something unintended if not illegal. Oh well. My lawyers will call their lawyers.

By the way, if Maire reads this in Vietnam, the class discussion of the Damascus Chronicle went very well. The students were stunned, simply stunned, by my wit and knowledge on the subject. Or, maybe they were just speechless.


* In researching this point I came across this scene: I think Zoot's identicle twin sister Dinko looks a bit like Maire, what with the wimple and all. But I could be wrong.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he looks like the Dalai Lama! We'd intended to dress him in the brown outfit for the G&R, but there wasn't time to change him. So we changed him before we left, so we could leave the other clothes behind. Four caretakers dove in, dressed him for us, and then went crazy over the outfit. I'm still not entirely sure why because the translator was in another room, but once they dressed him, the women picked him up, shouting about something, and ran from room to room to show him to all the other caretakers. We thought at the time maybe it was because the brown was the exact color of monks' robes, and he really does look like a monk in them! And in case you are wondering how we know what monks look li,e, we see them cruising around on mopeds quite regularly.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

Well, we used to say my little nephew Jesse looked like a little Buddha. And he did, at least when he was serious.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home