.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Little Lummox will now be known as 'Mad Dog' Leo ...

.... because he is one crazy ornery little cuss. Stubborn too. I will now tell the whole sorry episode since it will explain why Carmen was reading him a children's book hoping it would teach him that, as the book puts it, "You DON'T have the sense you were born with! You never DID have the sense you were born with! You never WILL have the sense you were born with!" Well, that's Carmen's sentiment anyway.

It all started a few days ago when I leashed the little beast up and took him off to the fishing spot on this side of the dam so we could walk along the new part of the Greenway. We get out of the car and walk towards a nice big grassy field the lummox likes to walk through.

Suddenly I see a big dog, many times bigger then the lummox, stick his head up out of the grass and start towards us. "Uh Uh. This could be trouble. He's not on a leash." Then I see FIVE other big, unleashed dogs come out of the tall grass to be with their pal.

I instantly realize that this is a time to run back to the car as fast as possible. But Leo, the noodlehead, decides he wants to take all six of them on and starts struggling against his leash. I am practically dragging him down the path but he is going in all directions. Finally I decide I have to pick him up and carry him. I get him halfway up when he goes wild wiggling and squirming so that he jumps out of my arms. And pops his head out of the leash. Barking ferociously he charges off straight at the dog pack.

Several things run through my mind at once. "Gee, I am going to have to wade into a really nasty dog fight to try to save this lunatic," followed immediately by "Gee, how the hell am I going to explain this to Carmen? There won't be enough of Leo left for us to bury!"

Now Leo is 35 measly pounds of raw fury standing 10 inches at the shoulder hurtling to his doom. The six dogs all stop in unison, gape at this sight for less than a second, and turn tail and run. Soon they have disappeared into their home neighborhood under the trees. I figure that they couldn't believe their eyes and weren't entirely sure exactly WHAT was coming towards them.

Now I think that the little lunatic will run after them and I will spend the next few hours searching for him, but he stops, draws himself erect and barks at the retreating dogs. Then looks around to see if I am there. He actually waits for me to catch up with him and even stranger, allows me to put the leash back on him without his usual fuss. So I am telling him "Good dog! Good dog!" Well, I guess we showed them, he seems to say.

But Carmen was VERY unhappy when I told her the story. In fact, she was disgusted with both of us I think. I knew I should have kept quiet about it. But it WAS fun - once it was all over.


Note: If you want to see the story of Maeread's cat Henry, and why he may be a noodlehead too, check here.
I now hear that Maeread wants her Mommy to hold Henry down while she reads to him, hoping it will improve his behavior too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home