.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Little Experiment on Travel:

I seem to be missing some of my recent posts here. Oh well. The world can probably live without them. There has been a lot happening in the local papers lately - Journal-Patriot readers seem to be going wild with letters to the editors. They are actually asking some important questions and making interesting comments. I'll have more on that later.

For the moment I just want to mention an experiment I am conducting. Like a lot of people in Wilkes, I have a long commute to get to where I work. There are not enough jobs here in the county. Anyway, this last week I was careful to drive at the exact speed limit, which the way I go is never more than 55 mph. I did this through a whole tank of gas and came up with 28.14 mph. The next tank I will drive the way I normally do: "like a madman," according to my next door neighbor! We'll see if there is any difference and if the difference amounts to anything.

If the savings is significant, I suppose we should all get behind President Bush and try to lower our dependence on Middle Eastern oil ( an administration spokesperson is now on record as saying he didn't really mean 'Middle Eastern' oil, that was just a way of speaking so ordinary citizens like you and I would understand him).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home