.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A conversation with Máeráed ...

... sometimes takes an odd turn. There I was, setting in my office, trying to get lots of work done, when Máeráed and her friend Amelie came in to help me. With two nine year olds, what could go wrong? They discovered my little futon chair and somehow upended it into a giant L and went under it like a fort, or a little house.

Then Máeráed asked if I had a blanket. Actually, I did, or rather I had my official black and gold Appstate snuggy! So they took that and made a door for the house.

Then they asked for something to do because they were bored. I gave them a big stack of student papers that I want to use for printing on the blank sides and told them to remove the staples. Then little voices from inside the house asked for a staple remover. Got it.

Then they were at work. Máeráed asked me if I had enjoyed my anniversary weekend in Charlotte with Carmen. I said yes, but the cats were bad while we were gone.

"What did the cats do?" Máeráed asked from deep inside the little house.

"One threw up on the bedspread and one pooped on the futon!"

A few yee-uws and giggles. Then Máeráed wanted to know "What's a futon?"

"That's the flat bed you sleep on when you come to visit us."

"HEY!"

"Why? Do you want to come for an overnight visit?

"NOT UNTIL YOU CLEAN UP THE FUTON!!!"

"Uh. O.K."

2 Comments:

Anonymous The Old Man said...

Apparently you gave her more information then she could handle. Please be more sensitive in the future.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Joey Sobrino said...

The initials LOL are used too often but this was well deserved: LOL!

--Joey

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home