.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tonight was a little strange at the Mellow Mushroom ...

... as soon as we walked in and sat down the waitress told us that we would be served, but the restaurant would have to shut down. So no more people could come in. We kept letting people in, like Clovis, who was able to make the very last, ultimate order. The weird thing was that the waitress didn't seem to know why they were shutting down (it was plumbing problems).

Anyway, I was there with Máeráed, her mom and her brother Mickey. Máeráed took one look at my book bag and dug out my little NEO typewriter and started typing on it. It looked like and entire screen of this:
algjoeue495aa@aaldi(odaoaaouarfalvbz'a'''d r720-a

I tried to read it. She told me it was Greek. I thought that was about right.

Then she started on a fresh screen. It looked even crazier, and right in the middle of it was a really naughty four letter word, purely by chance. I said "Maire, you're daughter has typed a really naughty word, which I won't repeat, right in the middle of her page!"

Máeráed then wanted to know what word. I said I couldn't tell her it was so bad.

She looked at me like I was an idiot and said with absolute assurance: "It's Greek! It says "I love you."

I had to give her a hug.

I have this odd suspicion that I was outfoxed by a six year old.


.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused -- is Mickey or Ciarán Máiréad's little brother?

And if you only suspect you've been outfoxed by this particular six-year-old, you are lucky. She's been outfoxing her puir parents since she was two.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

I meant to change the first use of the M word. Thought about Mr Miggs, but I like the sound of Ciaran. Even if not as appropriate as you first thought.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Ciarán means little dark-haired fellow. So it might still work! Maybe...

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home