.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, August 17, 2007

One good thing about this steaming hellhole that I call the ...

... unnamed port city. It's this.

The image “http://www.fourgreenfields.com/images/house2.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

No, I have no idea how an authentic Irish thatched cottage got built in the middle of a bustling unnamed port city in the deep South. But I do know that it was built by authentic Irish thatchers*. And that it has specially trained real live Irish draught pullers working the taps. At least they sure sound authentic**.

Oh yes. It's a great place to go and have an Irish pint and salmon dip too, at any hour after 10 am. Also, it's the last place I ever took my dad to have a beer. He got a Harp, since he was not an ale man, and only a half pint at that. When I was working on my book during the summers that I stayed in the port city I would go there in the afternoon when it was almost deserted have a few pints and write.

When Carmen left the Social Security office to marry me (an unusually fortunate occurrence for me***), her coworkers threw us a party there. It is also the place where I almost proposed (ie I thought I was proposing, but I was unusually vague that day****). Still, it was an important link on the way to the altar. And I owe it all to the Irish. James Aloysius not least.

Addendum: Here are some of the other watering holes in the port city*****.

* Don't know about their work status.
** Ibid.
*** as any and all of my friends frequently remind me
**** must have been the Guinness
***** how many of these have you been to Mr Sobrino?

3 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

I have checked out four...

Yuengling Brewery,

Grand Cru (now no longer in business...they were a bit pricy),

Hogan's (one of my favorite places to grab a sandwich and a beer and MUCH closer than downtown/ybor), and of course,

Four Green Fields.

--Joey

3:59 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

I bet Four Green Fields was the best - for the company if nothing else.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, naturally :)

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home