.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Friday, March 30, 2007

A walk with the little lummox...

.... today down by the Riverside Park. He likes that place. It was a pretty day, still cool since the weather dropped so the last few days. That made him full of vim and vigor and he trotted on out to explore. We went around the skate board/bicycle track, across our favorite bridge over the ever scenic drainage ditch, and out past the baseball diamond. Did a turn around the field there with the lummox trying desperately to get away so he could chase after some animal's spoor across the fields. Probably deer. Got him hauled around to the banks of the Yadkin on the other side of the ball park.

The little beast doesn't seem to care, but I always enjoy looking at the river and its different moods. Today it was high and swift, looking like a pressed tin pattern enameled with olive drab. We were at a part of the river I had never been to before. On the other bank was just about the largest building I have ever seen in the land of Wikes. Made out of sheet of rusted metal it must have covered an acre and stood maybe three stories high. It had an opening in the side with old metal gates you might see on a barn. I don't know what it is, but suppose it has something to do with farming. At that point we were still down on the flood plane and there were no houses anywhere to be seen.

The lummox, of course, was indifferent until we came back out at the country ham warehouse. There was a large empty truck parked in front. It let off a foul smell. Lummox went to the back end of the truck, sniffed around on the ground and suddenly dropped his head onto the ground and began to roll around in the damp dirt. I hauled him out of there as fast as possible.

We met a man mowing the lawn of the warehouse who made over how 'purty that dog is'. There's no accounting for taste. He said that the ground behind the truck probably had salt and blood and other nasty stuff from the hams that had run off into the ground. That was what the dog was so happy about and wanted to smear all over himself. There's no accounting for taste.

But for some reason the little lummox seems to adore me.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no accounting for taste!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

He and I have bonded! He likes the cold, I like the cold, he likes to nap, I like to nap, he loves Carmen, I love Carmen. He's very stubborn .. I am NOT stubborn.

But otherwise, I think it makes perfect sense that he adores me. He thinks I am the one who tells Carmen to treat him so well.

If he only knew.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home