.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Clovis* the computer whiz came down to visit...

.... this week. MFH had some heavy duty yard work to do and I immediately decided that young Clovis was the man to do it! So I invited him down for the weekend, promising him free food and some cash. Since he is starting at the big university next year and has no summer job yet, he said sure. I left him to thrash out all the weeds that I have been carefully cultivating all summer long while I worked on the computer ... inside my air conditioned study. Every now and then I popped out to check on his progress and to tell him what a great job he was doing. He would just mutter.

Since he is a big lad, over 6 ft, size 14 feet, nearly 300 lbs., he rooted around and pulled up stuff at a fearsome rate and was done in 3 hrs. Even I was impressed. He also fixed our weed whacker and then came in and taught me how to cut and paste url addresses onto my blog. I was so delighted.

I did the cooking that night, and even Clovis didn't complain about it much. The next day we practiced driving out at the old airport and then I drove him up the mountain to home.

*I've named him after King Clovis, first of the Long-Haired Kings. He was a horse sacrificing pagan and a bloodthirsty warrior. Then he became a Catholic Christian and inadvertently created France. Later the Long-Haired Kings changed their nick-name to the Do-Nothing Kings. No offence Clovis.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

What an awful thing to say! Creating France...

1:15 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

Well its not like that was what he had in mind! After all, his Franks spoke something like Dutch, or early English. And the little island of Paris just looked like a good place for a hunting lodge.

At least that's what Clemens tells me.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home