.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Merlefest, the Little Lummox, and the family....

Yesterday was a beautiful day as I drove up through the mountain pass where Mairead lives. Crystaline air, still chilled from the heights, with the bright lime-green of new leaves everywhere. Got the last of my work done and then came back down again. Both ways I saw all the traffic coming and going to the Merlefest. This morning as I peered through the fresh leaves blocking my office window I could see the top of Hill Fort Ridge, crusted with gleaming white RVs like icing sprinkles on a cake. Soon enough loud speaker cranked up and was going strong. Since the keepers of the Fest added $40,000 to beef up the amps over there I can hear the Merlefest music right in my front yard.

Last night, just as I sat down for Washington Week in Review, Mairead and her mother showed up. They had been across the creek at the Merlefest all day long and had come in to see us. Mairead was so happy to see the Little Lummox. We played for awhile while MHF and Mairead's mom talked. Then her Dad showed up with their two Irish friends. They had also been out at the Merlefest and were tired and a bit red from the sun. The Irish guys especially enjoyed it, I think. One mentioned how much like Irish music it all sounded!

Well, yes, when you think about it.

This morning I took the Little Lummox out for his usual walk down to the medical building and back up along Moravian Creek. He was in fine fettle. So many people now, so many tents and cars. We could hear the music perfectly as we walked, which he ignores. It was a very good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home