.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weird little vehicles are popping up all over...

... the great state of Wilkes (I saw a bumper sticker that actually proclaimed this title). I have seen two different SmartCars in Boone, and one Segway Scooter. I don't think the scooter was working out. The guy had on a business suite, a briefcase, and a crash helmet and was riding it on the sidewalk instead of in the road. I suspect Officer Oppie told him he could not ride a contraption like that on the public highways and byways of Watauga Co.

The other day when I went to park at the bus stop there was a pretty little blue SmartCar parked in my usual spot. I didn't think anyone in Wilkes would be caught dead in one (pardon the pun) but with gas being what it is - maybe.

I have also seen many more small motorcycles and scooters on the road, though even I have to admit that the little scooters look pathetic trying to chug up the Mountain to Deep Gap. And in the space of two weeks we lost two people here in single scooter accidents. I just can't believe they are safe. At least not with the skill set of Wilkes Co. drivers.

But it is encouraging to see people trying to not use so much gas. What we need is $5 a gallon gas. Then they'd bring back the horses.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Horses??? Come on... We can't have all that horse @$*# on the road, it'd be a public health hazard like in the 1800's ;)

9:23 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

OK - stick with your Segway. Or Shank's Mare. Or bike.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home