.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Auntie Carmen took Maeréad to the movies....

... they went to see "Charlotte's Web" (no, it is not about the internet). Maeréad's mom is in Atlanta buying some historians for the department, so we decided to take her to the movies and let her dad watch "The Children of Men." Then Clovis wanted to go, and then Oscar decided that maybe the boys would see "The Children of Men" while the girls would go see "Charlotte's Web."

I was afraid that Maeréad might be upset that I wasn't going with her, but when I explained it was going to be only her and Carmen, she said "Okey!" with great enthusiasm. It was a splendid opportunity to learn some humility.

I warned her though, Auntie Carmen always cries when Charlotte dies. She said she'd watch out for that. Carmen later said that when they got in Maeréad assured her that it was alright and it would help if Carmen just said "I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry". Now Maeréad had already seen the movie once before so she helpfully kept up a sort of death watch on Charlotte for Carmen. "It's a long way from when she dies, so it's OK Aunt Carmen." And later, "It's coming up soon, Aunt Carmen. Be ready." Then Carmen could hear Maeréad muttering "I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry".

They both cried.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ana said...

okay, so she KNEW that Charlotte was going to die, uh? Playing with advantage!
I don't know if you like "Friends" but when reading your post I remembered the chapter when, many years after her mum stopped hidding horrible stuff to her, Phoebe discovers that Charlotte dies at the end... The trauma!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Clemens said...

But Carmen ALWAYS cries when Charlotte dies. She first read the story in Spanish while a little girl in Cuba. She would set and read, and start crying, so her mother took the book away from her so she wouldn't cry. And then she cried so much worse that her mother gave her back the book! (which she read and promptly started crying!)

So I think your episode of "Friends" has a point.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home