.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, January 15, 2011

And now, for something completely pho...

... pronounced more like Phuh... here is a tip from the Washington Post if anyone is ever back up near Clemens' native land, my petit patrie, as the French say, courtesy of the "Going Out Gurus":

Best pho restaurant in Northern Virginia: What is it?

Lavanya Ramanathan: My boyfriend will argue it's Pho 88 in Falls Church. I like it because there's a veggie pho, and the people are nice.

Justin Rude: The popular answer is Pho 75 Arlington, and it's a good choice, too. It features long communal tables and by-the-number ordering. I like No. 1.


As for us here in the mountains we have to make do with a Japanese restaurant called Ichiban run by a Vietnamese guy named Peter down in Winston. And then only on Friday and Saturday. Carmen and I went down there this afternoon looking for a good bowl of Pho. I knew when I did it that I spent too much time in the shower. By the time we got there they had just sold the last of the Pho. Damn. Had to make do with Vietnamese beef salad and Ichiban seafood soup.

Which wasn't bad at all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Maire said...

Or, for pho ga (chicken pho) talk to you friend who keeps a stock of homemade pho broth in her freezer at home. Silly.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home