.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not Mayberry

Can a shy, retiring teacher from the big city find true happiness in the small town of Wilkesboro NC, which even the locals call "Moonshine Capital of the World."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The lummox and I were going for his afternoon walk ....

... last Wednesday. We drove down to the Community College Park - it only has one way in, and one way out. He did his little walk and we got in the car and started home. When we came to the right turn to our house on 268 there was a long line of traffic waiting to make the turn. They weren't moving. We waited (you know how patient in traffic I can be).

Finally decided the heck with it and pulled around all of the stopped cars and went on up to the light in the left turn lane. Looked down towards the light on our right at the intersection before our house and saw ...

A solid wall of fire trucks, ambulances, and flashing lights.

You have to know Wilkesboro to know what I am talking about, but the town is so cleverly laid out that from where we were we could either wait until the wreck and injured were cleared away, or we could make an enormous 10 mile circle to loop back around to the one other entrance to our neighborhood.

I immediately decided that the little lummox would enjoy a ten mile ride through the countryside.

the odd thing is, the local newspaper, which publishes long accounts complete with pictures of every fender bender in the county, did not cover this one. To this moment I have no idea what it was. Neither does the lummox, or at least he is not talking.

4 Comments:

Anonymous The Old Man said...

Wow, its been 21 days. Welcome back from your "finals" induced coma.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Well I can tell you I'd be on the phone to newspaper/tv/radio to find out what was happening. Others here in the big bad city will testify to that.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Lil' Sis said...

Jackie is the one I always call if I'm stuck in traffic....I know she will find out for me if she doesn't already know.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Yes, I love to call the CH13 number newsroom (which I know by heart) when I hear a helicopter hovering above.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home